Friday, April 28, 2006

Too Damn Lazy to Google it?!?!

I was just thinking about rights, you know, human rights, animal rights, etc...specifically I was thinking about the concept of originator/origination of rights- who/what grants/cedes/earns rights...

Suddenly I was struck by the realization that I was not working with a solid definition of what a "Right" is, so, I think, why not just Google it. Nah, I'm feeling too lazy to Google!!!

What the HELL?!?!? Too lazy to Google?!?!?!? What the hell have I degenerated in to?

I am a teaching assisstant/lecture/graduate student at a big Midwestern university in the US and am always cautioning my students to not be lazy and just Google a topic (well, using Google Scholar is quite alright, but that's not what they are doing), but to show a little academic capability by actually researching a subject properly.

So WTF? I can't even get up the gumption to Google a definition of "Rights"? What the hell happened to me?!?!

By the way, I just Googled it, here are some of my favorites:

"The privileges a user or role has on a system."

"Claims that have some justification behind them. A moral right is a morally justified claim. A legal right is a legally justified claim. When we use the term right without specifying the nature of the justification, we usually mean a moral right. Rights specify the acts that are permitted, forbidden, or required. If they specify the acts that the rights-holder may perform (such as vote, or drive a car), they are often called licenses"

1 Comments:

Blogger ButterSnatch said...

"RIGHTS": 3 of them makes a LEFT

6:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home