Friday, April 28, 2006

Cheap Beer and Soccer!

I was just emailing an Irish mate of mine (he's actually Northern Irish Protestant and prefers "British," but too bad, it's my Blog) and was thinking about old times.

You see, I can't think of anything that goes together better than football (soccer, here) and cheap beer (the cheaper the better)! We would literally sit in a smoky bar for hours drinking the crap discussing all the minutiae of the beautiful game. Ahhh, life!

Got me thinking about this book I read a while back, How Soccer Explains the World by Franklin Foer, a writer at the New Republic, if I recall correctly. Great idea, using a beloved topic as an analogy for something bigger (although, can you actually get bigger then football?). Problem is, Foer muffed it. Often we use analogies to emphasize the main point we are trying to get across, but in Foer's case his analogy topic was more interesting then his main point of Globalization. I just kept wanting him to get back to discussing football around the world.

Kinda like this post. I was trying to use the topic of cheap beer guzzling and football discussion to segue into good ideas gone bad, but then realized I muffed it myself. Cheap beer and football beats logic any day. Man I could use a beer and a game!

Screw it, skip this post. Oops, I guess that was a little too late. Found a good title for a future post, though.

Keep on keeping on.

1 Comments:

Blogger ButterSnatch said...

Skipped...

6:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home