Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Happiness is Better than Being Angry...

So speaketh the wisest man I know...

Actually, this was a quote to me from my autistic friend today...he was upset because another fella who also has developmental disabilities lit into him on the bus this morning because he was late for work by a few minutes...

Why do people have to be so mean sometimes, wondered my friend, why not just be nice...

I just didn't have an answer.

Imagine if the whole world operated on this simple principle...Israel wouldn't be driving into southern Lebanon (yet again!), the US wouldn't be in Iraq (or anywhere else for that matter), and the term "terrorism" would have no meaning...

Makes me wonder...why is it those of us born "normal" have such a hard time figuring this out, yet those that others might call "simple" speak with such wisdom and insight? Why is my friend, who can't make eye contact or carry on an in-depth conversation, more capable of understanding the most complex of human dichotomies than the rest of us?

Why am I mean when I should be nice? Hell, why am I mean at all?

I could be flippant and just say "Because it's fun!"

But, in reality, I'm not really sure what to say...I guess I'm mean because I'm human...but then again, so is my friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home