Friday, September 29, 2006

Video games arms-race?

Hands-on with Nintendo Wii : Tom Samiljan : Yahoo! Tech

With Nintendo's year-end new release along with Sony's PS3 and the relative new-comer Microsoft all in the fray to produce the newest and best gaming experience it makes me wonder- what's the ultimate end game for video games?

It strikes me as odd that game companies are doing their darndest to create real, life-like gaming experiences. Isn't this contra to the point of playing video games? I have played plenty in my day, but I always played for the same reason- I wanted an escape from reality.

So if games are becoming so real and life-like why do I want to play them? Why virtual-bowl when I can really bowl? Especially if I am going to throw my shoulder out in the process of doing either?

I don't know what the end will be. Perhaps as gaming systems get closer to replicating real life we will all just start tuning out of them much as we do with real life.

I just want to shut my brain off for a few minutes, hours, or days- is that asking too much?!?! Damn, I just want to go back to the good ol' days of Atari's "Combat". Not very realistic, but hours of enjoyment and all I ever got out of it was a blister on my thumb. I don't want to be playing the next generation combat simulator that has me ducking incoming rounds and being concussed by "realistic" explosions!

Maybe I'll just read a book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home