Saturday, April 29, 2006

Tuesday is Soylent Green Day

I debated with myself regarding the title of this post. I was leaning toward "Soylent Green is People," but that has been so overplayed in the pop culture I thought I'd go in the other direction.

I just finished watching the classic 1973 sc-fi flick starring the intensely over-dramatic Charlton Heston and the exceptionally poised Edward G. Robinson. Turn off the DVD and what's on the ol' telley- nothing other the intensely over-dramatic Ben Affleck in the dreadful war/love flick Pearl Harbor! Man what a contrast.

I've been working my way through the older movies at my local video store lately and seeing as I spent much of the day considering mankind's dreadful prospects of a future, I thought a little industrial level cannibalism was the perfect way to go. Man was I right. Nothing like a little doom, gloom, and global warming to lighten up the Saturday night!

But it was the contrast of Soylent Green and Pearl Harbor that got me thinking- do they even make mainstream downer movies starring big-time actors anymore? Wouldn't the movie Armageddon have been so much better if in the end Ben Affleck and Bruce Willis had ridden the giant asteroid smack into the Earth? Everyone dies a horrible death and humanity becomes extinct due to our collective obsession with internal conflicts as opposed to turning our gaze toward the stars.

Good movies with dark undertones where everyone dies in the end, now that's what I call cinema! Can anyone say Luc Besson? Yea, that's right, I like that French cinema- or considering our current political situation perhaps I should rename it Freedom cinema.

Oh, gotta go now, Alec Baldwin is about to fly his B-25 off the deck of the USS Hornet to smack down those evil French, ah, I mean Japanese, baddies. God it makes me teary eyed for my old Navy days!

Its okay now, the moment of temporary insanity has passed! What the hell was I thinking? Miss the Navy?!?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home